Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Coffin Bean Twyla and Fairy Tale High Alice Review, Part 1

Howdy y'all! Found these beauties at the local Family Dollar a few weeks back, and finally decided to go back and get them. 

 
 Coffin Bean Twyla is part of a budget line released in "alt channels", meaning the line has very specific distribution, usually in nationwide chains that are not Wal-Mart, Kmart, or Target. While both Wally World and the Super K carried Abbey, Frankie, and Toralei, this is the first Twyla I found in this line. Exciting!



The same store carries Robecca and Venus, but I have no real desire to get either of them, though Robecca's green-tinted mason jar and Victorian booties are very tempting.

There were two Twylas in stock today. One had slight eye wonk with a gob of misplaced green paint in the corner of her eye and wicked box frizz. I chose this one, partly for the less wonky eyes (these are still off-balance but not as bad) and the better visible hair. But there was another distinct difference which I have to investigate. The other Twyla appeared to have a rounder face, more upturned nose, and less defined cheeks. I think, then, this doll might be a variant.

As you can see, there's still quite a bit of box frizz going on, and I'm concerned about that comb-over hairstyle. 



Her head pegs came out easily, no breakage, not greasy, oily, or sticky. Her hair feels great. The comb-over bangs are stiff but not rigid and should soften quite a bit in a few days.

Her right arm came loose and detached during deboxing. This is the third time it's happened to me with recent dolls in the Freaky Fusion Inspired or Coffin Bean line. I suspect the staging cardboard on the backing creates a weakness on the opposite side, or the dolls are packed without the opposite arm fully inserted to relieve stress. I've also seen Creepateria line dolls with the arm opposite the cardboard "bump" hanging by its plastic tags or fallen to the bottom of the box.



Apologies for the crotch shot, folks, but.. I thought this was a cute babydoll dress. Skorts? Really? Wow. Well.. at least her skirt won't be creeping up to her neckline like it did with the Original.


Here's her wardrobe. The belt is quite nice -- and I uniformly hate MH belts in general. It's a thin, shiny strip of fabric with a teal skullette-shaped clasp. No Velcro or plastic peg to hold it in place, just gravity and tension. I'm concerned about the longevity of the fabric, though. Will probably replace it with a watchband ASAP.

The shoes are cute, but are single-color recasts of New Scaremester Twyla's mary janes. They're so detailed, they practically beg for a decent repaint. Same with the cup -- it has adorable cobweb details and spiders circling it. I'd love to have one in human-scale for myself.

Her dark purple jumper has a dreamcatcher pattern with spiderwebs and spiders connecting them. It's not very visible in this shot, but the top of the bodice is a bottle green bib with vertical spiderwebs, an Oxford collar, and a tiny black bow. She has two bracelets, one in milky green beads, one in lavender bands.

While I opened this post with a shot of Twyla and Fairy Tale High Alice, I wound up taking no pictures of Alice, because she was thoroughly unimpressive. Her face is flat and long, her eyes sleepy. Her hair is coarse and shedded with brushing. Her clothing is cheaply made and began to unravel as soon as I undressed her. My expectations weren't high -- she's an EAH knock-off, after all -- but she still failed to meet them. I plan to use her for custom practice now.

This Twyla is an odd one. Her colors are so bold, her style so severe. I've since redressed her, but she retains this air of intensity. I like her quite a bit, though original Twyla is still my favorite of the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment